Thursday, March 4, 2010

The past

is such a strange thing to me. I have a very poor sense of it. Things that happened 20 minutes ago seem like days or weeks. Things that happen years ago feel like only yesterday. And there's really very little proof anything actually happens. Photos can be doctored, videos and be spliced and edited together. Case in point, Kelso thinks Laurie's coming on to him. Thankfully, most of us are not as dull or dim-witted as Kelso, but you get my point. If we try hard enough, we can truly recreate our memories or at least fog up/block out some of them. Thus, the past consists of what we can remember. If we can't remember falling off the swing, it just as well may not have happened at all. "How did I get this scar on my knee then?" one may ask. Well, hypothetical child, maybe what really happened was you were skydiving as a baby and kneed an eagle's beak on your way down. In that case, bravo, congratulations, and kind of a jerk move on kneeing the national bird in flight.

I have an incredibly distorted view of time. The past eludes me very much so. Pretty much as soon as something's happened, I lose my grasp on how much time has passed. Example from tonight: Ken and McInnes left the house 1.5 hours ago. In David-land, this feels like it could've been anywhere from 10 minutes to a few days. It happened, and intellectually I know it was an hour and a half ago, but it doesn't feel that way. Perhaps this comes as a result of the delirium that comes with the late night/early hours of the morn.

I really like chocolate milk. And cereal. I got both of those tonight. Tonight was a good night. I appreciate all of you who made it so. Especially the cobbler maker and ice cream purchaser. Wait, they're the same person you say? Well then, in that case, I doubly appreciate you. Thank you all. Pray for my test tomorrow. And the concert on Friday. And my family.

David Needs: Strength, Fortitude, Peace, Wisdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment