Friday, March 5, 2010

Call me

Mr. Flintstone. I can make yo' bed rock.

Young Money Entertainment knows what's up.

The concert for Haiti is tomorrow night in about 17 hours. I'm a little nervous, but we've practiced quite a bit so I don't think there's anything really to be worried about. I hope you can make it.

I've come to realize that I am not very good about following through. "Following through in what?" one may ask. "In baseball?" No, hypothetical person who apparently doesn't know that I played baseball for the first 8 years of my schooling and therefore had the idea of "following through" engrained into my head so much that I can hear every coach's voice everytime I throw a ball. Or swing a bat. Or golf club. But applying this to life is especially challenging.

For example, I decide I want to work out more. I start doing so, do okay for the first couple days. Then I get lazy. One might attribute that to laziness. And I would, were it only the one instance. Another example: I make myself a schedule in order to organize my daily life a little. I have yet to perform one week to its fullest potential. One may also attribute this to laziness, but again I say nay. A third example, a while back, I made the decision to get back into drawing/sketching/something of the artsy nature. I thought to myself, "I know! Valentine's Day is coming up! Therefore, I will draw a rose, stick it in a card or flowers or something, and female recipient of said rose will think I'm the most romantic guy ever!" I did actually start this one. However, after the first day of getting a rough outline and some petals, I stopped. And I have yet to pick it up.

Where does this stem from? My sister read this book called "The Book Order Book." It's about the order that kids are born in and characteristics exhibited by them in relation to their position in age. I don't know a whole lot about it since all I know is what she's told me on one occasion. The oldest child will likely exhibit leadership qualities and will have a very strong personality (I assume this would change for an only child).

I, myself, am the baby of my parents' three children. Therefore, I am spoiled. Just kidding. But kind of not really. Sort of. I have the benefit of being the youngest with a couple perks. One is being the firstborn male. Traditionally, Korean parenting is biased to take care of the oldest son so that he can return the care when the parents get old (as I'm sure is the case in many societies). So I'm sure my mother was thrilled. And having already had two daughters, I have to assume my dad was absolutely ecstatic about having a son because, let's face it, dad's can't roughhouse or work on cars or play catch with their daughters.

But my birth and my next older sibling's birth are spaced just enough that I also exhibit traits of an oldest and even some of an only child. A trait of (I think) an only child is that they are afraid to start projects for fear of failure. My father, who is an only child, has delayed fixing up my grandfather's motorcycle for absolutely no good reason at all. He can't follow through. I can't commit to any sort of serious endeavour for very long. I freak out. I overanalyze. I get lazy. I rationalize the living daylights out of a situation and talk myself out of it.

I would like to fix this.

I hope I follow through.

Lent seems to be helping. There's something and someone (thank you, kris) to keep me accountable to what I want to do.

My post is long. Perhaps I will try to keep it shorter next time.

I like them.

4 comments:

  1. I think books and theories like that can be compelling, but people can't really be categorized, analyzed, and put in a box. At least not in their entirety, because no one is that simple. While trends and studies are interesting, there will always be variation. There has to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. I generally try to disprove books of this nature or reason how I am the exception to their theories. But I do find them interesting and good food for thought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha.. I do the same thing all the time. Like right now, I should be eating healthy and exercising every day... not so much... my intention is to get back into it... we'll see how that turns out.

    As far as the whole birth order book thing goes, I'm the second oldest out of four and I'm the most laid-back out of all of us. So as far as I'm concerned, that book works for some, but not all. So now you're stuck with the dilemma of individuality.. How do you stand out knowing that there's a bunch of people that fit the book's categorization and a crap-load that don't? Although not as perplexing as how many licks to the center of a tootsie-pops, it's still a stumper.

    ReplyDelete
  4. *sorry... tootsie-pop (singular) :)

    ReplyDelete